View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

With what you want to keep long-term, I don't see any real advantage going with bigger tank. I have a 93g cube & LOVE it. Looks so much nicer IMO than a standard rectangular tank and yet takes up very little room. I use one pendant to light the whole thing (LEDs) whereas I would need twice as much lighting to do a 150g. Also, not a huge fan of 30" deep tanks, although seahorses supposedly like the extra depth for mating dances. When I used to keep seahorses (mostly Erectus & Kudas w/c) back in the day, I had them doing the dance in 33g tanks (18" tall) so the 24" height of the 93g cube should still be sufficient.

Also, the seahorses will LOVE your sexy shrimp (expensive snacks). My friend's Reidis used to eat 300-400 fw ghost shrimp a month and those are 10 times bigger than sexy shrimp. Serious incompatibility issue. Sexy shrimp are tiny and to really enjoy them best, set up a nano where their small size works to your advantage and is not a disadvantage. You could set up a ricordea/sexy shrimp tank to start and later build the bigger system and move some of the rics over. It will give you time to grow them out cause a tank full of rics is super expensive unless you live in the States and can get them wholesale or direct from the source.

Anthony