View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquiReef View Post
Good to know. I havent been able to find much information on them and dont know anyone with experience keeping them. I did read that they prefer no light, so I put them in a cave which gets virtually no light. I still saw no polyps. I moved it to another spot that gets moderate light and still nothing. I feed marine snow to the tank once per week and feed mysis, roti and bloodworms on an alternating basis daily. Should I feed it something else? Should it be glued to a rock upside down? Planted in the substrate? I am having NO luck with it. At the moment it is getting medium flow. It fell into an elegance coral the other night after the Urchin was out and about but that didnt seem to effect it. Here I thought my Goni would be the most unhappy in my tank!

Water parameters:

Salinity- 1.025 SG
Phos- 0ppb
Nitrate- 0ppm
Alk- 8dKH
Calc- 420ppm
Temp- 27-27.5
to be honest youll spend a whole lot of time trying to get it fed properly i would just pass it on, reason i say this is they dont fare well in new tanks as the mico life isnt there for it to get a feeding response and dry pollution is high.

you can feed it live food like rotifiers but unless your culturing on a large level youll run out of food pretty quick and it will become expensive to feed it daily.

i can tell from the pic that it is starving , the shriveled skin is a for sure sign of malnutrition .

these corals belong is a dedicated system with live foods, over sized filtration and steady water parameteres all of which a new tank finds hard to offer.

im not saying its impossible but its not easy to do on short notice and without planning you'll end up doing more harm then good to your young reef(small changes)

best advise in this situation is bring it back to where you bought it for credit and get something more designed to a mixed reef and for your care level.

info on this coral can be found on the NPS forumns on reef central if google isnt giving you much, i think you'll find after some reading it was a poor purchase and the seller should have told you of its requirements, its a common thing for larger box stores to do and the customer usually bites it as a newb loss when in fact they never stood a chance

if you do decide to keep it i can put you on the right path to getting it healthy, its not easy though just a FYI

beauty though!!

cheers

denny