Thread: Jon's 60g
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 02:29 PM

jon.smolders is on a distinguished road

Updates:

- Ordered and received 45lbs of dry rock (pukani and tonga shelf). I didn't use it all.
- Aquascaped using fiberglass driveway markers, and almost completed the PVC pipe/eggcrate stands for the rock.
- Bought a dual inline TDS meter... after over a year in storage my RO membrane is still good and producing 0ppm water!
- Picked up a bunch of plumbing for my ATO / water mixing station and the return for the fuge (did I mention I've decided to do a remote fuge?). I haven't done any plumbing yet though.
- Bought glass baffles for sump, still need to silicone them in (hopefully today).

Cycle and Sand Issues:

I want to start cycling as soon as possible. I have been waiting until I get the aquascaping done with all the pvc supports and everything so that I don't have to start moving the rock around once it gets wet. HOWEVER, I also would like to get the sand in before I fill up the tank too. The problem is that I can't find anywhere that sells aragonite sand. I found a bag of crushed shells/coral, but I was hoping to go finer then that. I even asked the local store if they could order some in but apparently they can't. They told me to check online, which would cost about $50 for a 30lb bag to ship.

So, I have decided to try my old sand, and hope that it isn't full of phosphates. Right now its dry and it smells clean, and really its not that "old" considering the amount of time I had my last system set up. I am going to try to give it a short vinegar bath (providing it doesn't completely dissolve), rinse in RO, and then throw it in the tank with my fingers crossed. Figured I could always remove it if I'm having algae issues.

I'm thinking I will fill the tank (with rock and sand) with RO and let that soak for a week or so (changing water if necessary), then refill it with salt water next week and begin cycling with Microbacter7. Not sure if I need a shrimp in there or not... I heard that pukani is full of enough organics anyway.

I'll post some pictures soon...

"Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die."
(Jonathan Edwards, 1722)