View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 03:11 AM

Stones is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same tank as you and have also had cyano from time to time. Obviously excess nutrients are the main issue at hand but increased flow makes it hard for cyano to get a foothold.

I changed out the skimmer on my RSM130D to a Hydor Slim Skim Nano. I had originally wanted to go with the larger Hydor Slim Skim but was worried it wouldn't fit in the skimmer sump compartment.

Even though the Hydor slim skim nano is a much smaller skimmer, I feel it performs as well if not better than the stock skimmer. The stock skimmer seemed to generate more noise than actual skimmate.

I also agree with the above posts. I run a bag of GFO suspended right behind the grill in the sump compartment. All water flowing through the sump comes in contact with the bag and my hopes are that at least 25% of that water is passing though and having the phosphates bound to the GFO.

Increasing flow really helps. I'm running 2 vortech MP10s on opposite sides of the tank on ~60% reef crest mode. There are some very attractive group buys going on right now on Jebao WP10 dual controller packages so I'd recommend picking one of those up as I'm sure that would really help alleviate your cyano problems.

Best of luck! I've had many more algae outbreaks and problems with the RSM130D than I've had with my 225 gallon tank but I attribute that simply to lack of maintenance. Nano sized tanks need maintenance done on a weekly basis as opposed to monthly which is what I'm accustomed to. With smaller quantities of water, there is less of a dilution effect and nutrient levels seem to exponentially rise once I start to slack on the tank maintenance.