View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 PM

Patwa is on a distinguished road

This thread has got me a bit perturbed. I should have posted this as soon as I read your first post a few days back, but I was left more in disbelief than anything else, and plus, it's been a hell of a week at work and home..sigh.

I saw the reaction on RC when you posted it and I have to agree with the latter sentiments there that what you're doing lacks any remorse and is essentially careless. Nevermind the complete absence of the notion of animal husbandry in what you're doing - the central reason we're all hobbyists!

The point i'm going to make is that they're animals. They have a central nervous system - a system that tells them when there is danger and when it is safe and how to react. When you do something like intentionally harming them, they will react as any animal in that situation would. We're not talking about accidental death - we're talking about trying to kill the animal by using extreme stress (cold), compounded by time.

The mad science aspect of this is quite evident - can they survive the freeze? Good question, but i'd recommend you ask a coral researcher or dig through some marine journals if you're honestly that curious.

I dunno, maybe you have too much time on your hands....but as they say, idle hands are the devil's tool? (or however it goes). Try and find some other way to use your time...maybe try and see how you can get them to grow faster, eh?

You've been in the hobby a long time, just as I have...thus, i'm blown away that you still can't come to appreciate the fact that it is a living creature, and that what you're doing is trying to quantify how and to what extent you can end its life.

anyhoo.....Im blown away it lived that first night....but i'm not going to applaud your efforts.........I think you should stop this "experiment" asap.

Percula and Ocellaris pair ● Marine Betta ● Sunburst Anthias ● Blue Assessor ● Threadfin Cardinals ◊ Soft coral dominant