View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 AM

Masonjames is on a distinguished road

From anything I've read about it, it can be successful but changes are not permanent. Not in the mother polyp, nor any of the babies. New babies will take on mothers original qualities depending on which side they grow out from. No matter you end up with one or the other in the end. People have even attempted to bleach out a zoa or paly and throw a more prettier one in a blender and pour zoa mush into tank with bleached zoas hoping the less prettier would take in some of the zooxanthellae of the blended one. Which had not proven any results either. People have attempted many differnt ways of trying to create new hybrids, colour morphs etc. Heck it would be a pretty lucrative venture if a person could just make new zoa and paly colour morphs at home. So of coarse people will always be trying. Lol. Just not gonna happen. Cutting polyps in half and sticking them together will not be able to create a new lasting morph. Sure if successful some species of coral (not limited to zoas and plays) may tolerate each other and may even form a beneficial relationship to some extent as that has been fairly well documented with wild coral species, and you have even seen it yourself in your own attempts and others in theirs by chance etc, but you still only have one and/or the other. So to make a new species or morph at home by splicing them together, just not gonna happen. Not unless you can manipulate them at a genetic level. But that's just my opinion. Don't let me deter you from trying if you want. Is a cool thought, and I would love to see it possible, I just don't think it is.