View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordsyke
Hey Tim, does it have to be dosed into a 10 micron filter sock?, I have a 300 micron filter sock I could dose it into. I do not keep sps only softies
The reason people want to use filter socks is to remove the flocks of LC and Phosphate. Some people are concerned that there might be a potential for the bound phosphate to be released back into the system. There is no scientific studies on this that I am aware of.

The medical variety LC does not release the bound phosphate even when it's in a persons stomach acid so it seems highly unlikely that it would release it at the pH of a marine tank.

I just dose it directly into the sump and let the flocks settle out in the sump. I do clean the normal detritus that tends to build up in the sump on a regular basis.

If you have a high flow rate through the filter socks some of the product will pass through before reacting with the phosphate.

I am bringing in the 10 micron filter socks to offer people the alternative to just letting the flocks settle out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastlight
Hopefully it and a suitable filter sock will be be easy to obtain when that time comes. Thanks for the info.
Glad to have been able to help. More and more stores are carrying Foz Down. If your favourite store does not carry it they can order it through some of the distributors(Aqua Digital and Reef Supply Canada) that offer it. If they don't want to bring it in we can set something up. The 10 micron filter socks arrive tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tim