Thread: Laptops
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Define general home use. I've been looking for a new notebook for a while myself, the old Compaq is really getting long in the tooth & can't handle the latest version of Google Earth! Not sure what's up with most manufacturers still producing notebooks with spinning hard drives. Should all be SSDs by now IMO & that's why I'm still holding out. I've been keeping my eye on the latest generation of smart TV's. I don't run too many RAM intensive apps any longer & mostly spend my computer time on the web. The latest smart TVs have dual core & better processors. If most of what you're doing is web based, forget the notebook & splurge on a new smart TV! Why fart around with a tiny screen when you can surf on something with a huge one, unless you really need a notebook for portability. But nowadays seems like tablets are all the rage for portability. Or big honkin' smart phones even.
Most are still platter drives because the bulk of people don't care as much about load times and care more about how many pictures and movies can I save on the hard drive. At $1/GB for SSD vs $.10/GB for platter drives, for most manufacturers on a $1000 system, it's by far the better business decision to stick with a bigger slower drive.