View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPin View Post
Looks like Dinos to me. I would suggest doing some research, but best results I had were achieved by doing the following:

Lights out for 5 days (complete black out except for 15 minutes a day for feeding)
Raise pH to 8.4 or greater
Using Hydrogen Peroxide
Filter Sock
Run Carbon for toxins
Water change 30-40% after lights out
Hey Jason, I've seen you mention the use of hydrogen peroxide a few times, and I know it is a good algae killer. I had a bad outbreak this past summer, and almost resorted to that.

But the concern I have (and it could be completely unwarranted) is that it might upset the eco-balance (for lack of a better term) in my tank. Right now I have various fish that graze on algae, and perhaps my coral require some (in phyto form?) too. And don't coral grow some algae internally?

In any case, I decided to fight the algae with lowering my P04 and manual removal, and so far have always managed to beat it back that way (have had this problem before, and much worse actually). My recent transfer of my Kole tang to my upstairs tank, has really helped.

I still have a bit of algae here and there, mostly in spots that I can't reach with my tooth brush, but seems to be under control now. My P04 is back down to near zero. And I think little bits of algae here and there give a more natural look, too.

Anyway, would like to hear more opinions and discussions on the use of hydrogen peroxide and if there are any negative effects on the tank eco system and corals.