Thread: Observations
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Have a look at this photo. A gaming console should cost aprox $400 in today's costs of living (called net present value). Gaming consoles is not alone. We can recall the cost of a movie and a dinner bill.

In comparison, prices in the aquarium hobby has not risen as fast as inflation, and I suspect because hobby growth has not been at the same pace as inflation. Prices SHOULD grow if industry is growing at the same pace as inflation.

I guess this is good for hobbyists... but it sure makes it a heck of a hard time for breeders, small businesses when costs and overhead keeps rising. I have friends that farm clownfish in Florida, and I shake my head every time I get their price list... their prices haven't changed in years. I sure would bet their costs only went up.

Meanwhile, for those who have been around, see if you can recall... how much was a clownfish 10 yrs ago compared to today? Flame angel? A Coral Beauty? Average wild LPS like a bubble coral or 5 head Euphyllia? A standard 55 gal aquarium? A tin of flake food? A 500ml bottle of Seachem supplement? A bucket of salt?