View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 02:18 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
You can make your's as simple as a tank, heater, filter and cheap canopy. $100 would cover it used easily

I kept mine running until I finished buying fish and kept new filter foam blocks in my sump (thanks Brad) for a month or more before use
Whenever I populated the QT, I added more blocks to the sump as I toss the used ones

To answer your initial question Raied, here's mine;
It's a 20g with a 15w freshwater bulb (low intensity is best for a QT) and an eggcrate top. The front half of the crate is cut and removable for arm access. I have had wrasses jump through it so you may be better off with a stock-style canopy
I use a 100w Jager and an Aquaclear 50
And a Seachem Ammo Alert badge
That's all you'd need

I used to keep my tank bare bottom, but it currently has tile as it's a close color to sand (the stand is black and reflected the light like a mirror - not very subdued for guys trapped in a small tank)
I blacked-out the back and sides (thanks Albert for the suggestion) with a garbage bag taped in place
I use either a take-out tray, or a take-out lid, for sand. Either depends on who is in QT. The tray is good for wrasses. The lid works well for blennies, gobies etc

For overkill, 'cause I always go overboard;
I installed an Aquaclear Surface Skimmer
I have an 8w hang-on UV run by a Lifeguard 1200
And I have a Tunze 3155 ATO (went through litres/day in the summer)
Plus a Penn-Plax B11 Silent Air battery backup air pump
It's also monitored/temp controlled by my RKE, and has a 120mm PC fan for cooling
Oh, and a moonlight

Guess that's about it

Before the tile, black garbage bag and eggcrate top

Current pic

Thanks Greg. Its very helpful I really don't want any complicated setup since I don't have the space for it (gonna put it right beside my tank). So anything from 20 to 30 gallon is fine I am guessing? I will probably put a copperband in their for treatment (if I can get a good specimen). What sort of medication do you use? Can cupramine and prazipro be used together? Seems like ich and intestinal worms are the two most common diseases.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob