View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 04:42 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
You should ask Rig's advice before you post more often Brad.

Excellent analogy.

I too went with cheaper (but still decent brand bbqs like Broil Mate and Broil King). Now I have a Weber E320 LP, LOOOOOOOOOVE it. So yeah, I know what you mean. Now I want to replace my two Weber Q300s with another E320!!!

I read a lot of posts on Canreef and its NOT that often that people simply recommend the high end, most expensive equipment when someone asks about what to buy. In fact, far more often, members will recommend what they have in their tanks, which is mostly mid-range equipment.

mrhasan,

You are trying to win an unwinnable argument and repeating yourself ad nauseam (i.e. Latin term for something unpleasurable that has continued "to [the point of] nausea".)

Really, it is NOT all hype. Sometimes equipment that is expensive is really worth the extra money to the buyers. MOST buyers are NOT getting it just because its expensive. MOST members here are too smart with their hard-earned money (if being a Reefer & being "too smart with their money is not oxymoronic) to throw away money on buying something because of hype. One reason we are on this site and other fish sites is to do our research before making a purchase. If you are soooo against people "buying" the hype, its not reefers who go online to ask and answer questions. Its actually the newbie with a big bank account who goes into his/her LFS and tells the salesperson "I don't know anything about reefing but I want a top of the line reef and money is not an issue" who then gets all the expensive toys because they never bothered to research what they actually need. Its almost always newbies who get "ripped off" like this, whereas most Canreefers who come on this board and ask valid questions before making their purchasing choices usually make a decision that is right for them.

While I LOVE a bargain more than almost anybody I know, and most of my equipment is used if its high end (i.e. Deltec recirc skimmers), and the rest is the affordable Chinese knock-offs you love (Jebao & BM) or DIY (my LED lights), if someone was to off me an awesome deal on a Bubble King skimmer or a Radion light at a price I can't refuse, I'd be all over that. And guess what, SO WOULD YOU!!!!

From my analysis of your postings on this thread, its NOT the brands or the equipment, per se, that you are railing about. It's purely the PRICE of these high end equipment when buying retail that has you all worked up.

Seriously, if you could pick up a Bubble King lightly used from a reefer getting out at the price of a new Bubble Magus, YOU WOULD DO IT IN A SECOND. And you'd probably keep quiet about it until everyone forgets about this thread.

It is NOT that you love Jebao or Bubble Magus so much, that is what you can afford and the price range you want to spend on your equipment. That's fine. I like this same low-end price range myself. But if either of us found a great deal on the top-end equipment, we'd be fighting over who gets to buy it first and don't fool yourself into thinking you wouldn't.

So that is what I have distilled from your many posts and repeated statements in this thread. It's really NOT about being POed at the hype or the "You get what you pay for", it's a "Bubble King is out of my price range and I only want to spend BM-level money on my equipment" type rant.

Personally, I prefer spending on livestock rather than super high end equipment like new Bubble King skimmers. But if someone was to contact me with a great deal on their BK skimmer, I'd be all over that. In the meantime, super happy with my inexpensive, used Deltec skimmers (which were top of the line before BK came out).

Not a personal attack, since you & I share similar thoughts about our personal price range. Just summarizing up my thoughts after following this highly repetitive thread over the last couple of days.

It was amusing for a while, but...

Sincerely,

Anthony "not a personal attack" Shieh

(Note: Also a meat-loving, bbqing-nut reefer from South Asia - Malaysia to be exact)
Nicely put Anthony. Thanks for the awesome insight

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob