View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

From my limited experience and reading this and other forums, there is definitely a "hype" component, especially when it comes to new technologies. Wireless features, LED's, skimmer technologies etc. Think about when lighting changed so that corals could be kept in aquariums, lighting improved so that tougher corals could be kept. When these products first came out, I can imagine how expensive they were. Now there is more selection, pricing drops. I bought G1 Radions, within 6 months, the price dropped, within a year the G2's came out, dropping the value of mine even lower. This is not a cheap hobby period. I think the "get what you pay for" applies more so to used items rather than new. Trying to save money on used, not sure of condition, seller, history etc., means money you save up front could cost thousands if it fails (return pump off ex).

Each person's equipment set up is as unique as each person's tank inhabitants. I don't need to rush out and buy the latest and greatest, my tank suits me.