Thread: Seaworld
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I haven't seen the documentary, I understand it's about keeping whales and such in captivity and the effects it has on them. I had the opportunity years ago to go whale watching off the coast of Victoria and was brought to tears watching killer whales jumping and splashing and doing what these magnificent animals do in the wild.

That said, my dad was born and raised in Africa, imagine the wildlife he saw there.

What's the difference keeping marine mammals and land mammals in captivity? Many land animals are near extinction due to humans. Hunting, ivory, population expansions interferring with migration. Even through our mountains, we have encounters with bears, cougars that end up paying with their lives when they come too close to our homes.

We keep marine animals in our homes for our own pleasure. We go to great expense to provide the best possible environment for their survival. Yet we introduce diseases, parasites in such a closed system and have to medicate. These animals and fish would never be exposed to such treatment in their natural habitat. We take corals from the reefs, fish and all have found a way to justify, science, research, preservation.

And we have zoos. I wonder where we draw the line at what is acceptable and what is not. We humans cause the greatest destruction to our planet yet we all justify our choices to do so.