Thread: Refugium
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 06:17 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I think some people use them, others don't. I do not personally. Just another thing to manage and maintain IMO.
Ditto. It really all depends on what you're using the fuge for. If the point is nutrient reduction, it would need to be pretty large relative to your total system volume to be super useful in that regard. A turf scrubber would be a way more efficient use of the space. If you're just using it as a place for things that wouldn't otherwise make it in the display to grow to round out the ecology, I suppose there's no harm. Whether or not that will have any qualitative or quantitative impact on the growth rate/colour of your SPS is another matter entirely. I'd be hard pressed believing that an identical system run without the fuge chamber but all other things being equal would look all that different at the 1 year mark. But if it provides a psychological benefit and makes you feel like the system is more holistically complete, I'd say that's value in and of itself.

I have a fuge chamber in my sump. I have rock in it now but only had light over it for 4 months. The light was spilling in to other chambers of the sump and all my equipment (skimmer, reactors, etc.) were getting covered in coralline algae. I noticed zero difference in the tank overall when I took the lights off the fuge chamber.