View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Interesting read, this thread. Seems we get a nice & fuzzy when we see the required label & code on something from a reputable company, but sound the alarm bells if we're not quite sure the source is or is not reputable. I have no idea what actually goes on at "UL", but it's probably safe to assume that they don't scrutinize every single product of a given manufacturer down to the last detail. They probably don't even disassemble the 'to be certified' item to any great degree. Nor do they go to the manufacturer's assembly plant to see what goes on there. If a manufacturer seeking certification for a product has done their homework & provides all the spec sheets & possibly engineering data for the product they want certified, the boys & girls at UL probably don't even look at it before giving it the green light. I'm just guessing with those assumptions & could be totally off the mark. But if they actually do all the tests required for a 'safe' certification on a sample product, what's to stop a manufacturer from cutting corners after they have the coveted label? The manufacturer is also at the mercy of suppliers of other components that are part of the assembled end product. Could get a bad batch of wire for the power supply they're putting together with the UL label on it. You could end up with a Monday morning or Friday afternoon power supply!

I guess what I'm attempting to get across here is that a UL or CSA sticker on an electrical component is no absolute guarantee that it might not blow up in your face anyway. Chances are probably better than with one of 'dubious' heritage, but given the dumb things folks do with electrical stuff, certified or not, (like fully submerging a 110 volt heater, control head and all, under water) some will burn their houses down regardless of a sticker. And the whole low voltage thing can be misleading as h. If you've ever taken a long metal object & shorted it across a 12 volt 120 ampere/hour battery you will know what arc welding is all about. Might not get a shock, but can start a fire just as easily as a higher voltage component.

So yeah, by all means have a close look at all the electrics you have plugged in, not only on your tank, but around the house. It's usually pretty easy to determine if it's a good quality product & safe to use. More importantly, use the item as intended, especially around water.

For me, the fewer things with electrical cords actually in the water the better. This is why I prefer EcoTech power heads over Koralias or Jebaos, even Tunzes. Not because of a sticker on the power supply.

Last edited by mike31154; 11-06-2013 at 03:06 AM.