View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
So I ordered a new sump for my system (terrified that this is going to cause a tank cycle and wipe out my animals and corals) and this one has a couple features my current sump doesn’t offer. It will have a refugium, a place to put my skimmer and also filter socks.

I’m curious, has anyone tried putting media into the filter socks? Not loose stuff but in a bag like purigen, chemi-pure etc? It would sure as heck get a lot of flow through and over the media.

Also am I justifiably worried that this will cause my tank to cycle? My current setup has bio-balls in it but the LR in my tank should be properly seeded with denitrifying bacteria no?
Is more than 50% of biological filtration in your sump?? If so then ya, the possibility is there, although definitely can be managed by not allowing your biological media to dry out. If you do have bio media in the sump like live rock then you can just put it in the display tank temporarily while you do the sump swap.

If you have virtually no biological filter media in your sump then i would not worry about it at all. Just keep your tank heated, oxygenated and circulating during your tank swamp and it'll just feel like a water change as far as your tank is concerned.