View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 AM

Scuba Diver Gal is on a distinguished road
Default Removed tank hood, new lights, now what?

Hi everyone,

This is actually my son's tank, but I seem to be helping him quite a bit with it. We are both very beginner… He does the work and I do the worrying and research...

My son's starter tank is a biocube 29.

He wanted to upgrade his lights so he purchased an AquaticLife 4 bulb T5HO with moon lights. It was within his budget, he likes the look of T5, and had a controller. To do this we had to remove his hood of the tank. Seems like a lot of light for this tank…but what do I know...

Currently in the tank are 2 small tank bred clown fish and one purple fire fish. A clean up crew (emerald crab, nassarius snails, hermit crabs, and a few other snails that i don't know what they are (mostly spend their time on the glass).

We had just started getting the temperature steady in his tank and now this changes everything. Here are my questions:

1. These moonlights seem super bright. Will this be bad for the fish and corals?
2. Will we run into problems not having a hood or top on the tank? I don't want one of these snails or fish to crawl or jump out. And will we have troubles stabilizing the temperature without the hood on the tank?

Anything else we need to consider?

Thanks and sorry if these questions seem obvious, remember we are beginners.