View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 08:48 AM

keigan is on a distinguished road

Hello, CanReef! First post (and aquarium) - I thought this deserved its own thread, but I just registered so I can't post new topics yet. Anyways, I just wanted to give anyone who may be looking for an underwater adhesive a heads-up about my experience trying to glue semi-polished river rocks. I used Instant Krazy Glue Advanced Formula Gel. The ingredient listed is ethyl cyanoacrylate, with which some people seem to have had luck. This particular product was not suited for the job. Glued ornaments, after 24 and 48 hours of curing, still clouded water and crumbled when handled after soaking. The longer the soak, the weaker the bond became.

I should note that this is one particular product in a vast Krazy Glue line, so I am not saying they don't have a product better suited for aquarium use. I've contacted the manufacturer for advice.

It is also worth noting that as semi-polished river rocks are my medium, it seems likely that the problem is further exaserbated by the fact that the surfaces would not be flush. This is mentioned on nearly any cyanoacrylate adhesive packaging.

The exact product can be found via google, string: "site:walmart.ca instant krazy glue advanced formula gel" - first result.

I'm doing a bit of research on the subject, I'll share my findings. I'm about to test another gel superglue...this one has "cyanoacrylate" rather than "ethyl cyanoacrylate" on the packaging and specifically states that it is waterproof. It was my assumption from many forum threads in search results that any cyanoacrylate adhesive would be waterproof. Hope I can help others avoid the same hassle!

Last edited by keigan; 10-31-2013 at 08:58 AM.