View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 02:59 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Anyhow, I'm not here to make this into a PC vs. Apple debate :-) The cheap LED fixtures are slapped together by the companies in China without any R&D, design or long term testing.
Hey man, I'm with you there, not sure how a LED light discussion ends up being a computer hardware/software war.

It's just that when I see the much over used 'you get what you pay for' argument, I can't help but write a novel. There are so many variables with the products we're offered these days it's difficult to see the forest for the trees. Certainly there's a lot to be said for brand names & R&D, but there really are no guarantees in the end. We're all human & Asians, Europeans, North/South Americans, what have you can have a bad day at the assembly line. Of course the conditions with which these workers have to deal with will have an impact on how many bad days they have. I'm guessing here, but the company called 'solaris'? came out with some first generation LED fixtures that cost in the range of $2K and up? The company went bankrupt primarily due to a patent law suit IIRC, but the fixtures also had issues with their power supplies. Ask the folks that put out thousands for these quality fixtures how they feel about that.

I run VorTechs on my tank & am quite happy with them despite the price, but the first one I purchased was a Gen 1 MP40 on which the wet side magnets would rust after about 6 months of use. Of course the current models use improved magnets that don't rust, but I still paid top dollar for something that was made in the USA & probably rushed to market before all the R&D was done properly. I don't own a Radion LED, mainly due to the price, but it seems they rushed the first batch of those out as well, due to mounting pressure from the competition. Witness the newer models with improvements & tweaks. The originals were still pretty costly. Anyhow, sorry for the long winded novel again, but my experience is you don't always 'get what your pay for'.