View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

[RANT]
I have an acquaintance that heard my stories of how my aquariums relax me and give me a slice of the coral reefs to enjoy at home. Apparently my stories were so compelling that he decided he wanted to purchase a tank and start up a reef of his own. Thousands of dollars into the hobby his interest has waned and now his tank hasn’t had a water change in a couple months, algae is starting to take over, his livestock has had “mysterious deaths”, rock looks like poop, etc.

My rant is this: If you are interested in a hobby where you are essentially taking over for The Almighty in terms of caring for a life by feeding, keeping healthy etc. then have the decency to accept that you are now their entire lifeline to this world. They can no longer exist without your attention and care; and as such you have a real OBLIGATION to see these creatures either maintained or moved to new homes where they will be cared for.

My acquaintance is now convinced that he is losing interest because his tank is not large enough to keep all the species he wanted; which is why he’s losing interest in his current tank. (Red Sea Max 130d, bought brand spanking new along with every piece of rock, sand, livestock, etc.) Do you really think that after you lose interest in one responsibility that taking on an even larger responsibility will change things?

I want to take away this person’s credit cards until they’ve learned responsibility for what they’ve already taken on.
[/RANT]