View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 06:35 PM

KevinK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Looks complex with a lot of fiddling and as you add LEDs over time, lengthening the series strings, you're going to have voltage/line loss. What are you thinking of using as a 12 volt power supply?

I was thinking of using a standard 12V power supply, and I do understand that there might be a V drop when the cable gets longer (I ca use a thicker cable)

There are plenty of garden light LEDs available that are already rated at 12 Volts. You can also go with solar LEDs.

i know, however a CREE cost $ 2.50 and lots of light, and all other garden lights are gust crap, no matter what you spend.

even the LED's you buy in store everywhere, thy are $25 and up for one bulb, and you get maybe 45 L/Watt

Some of the solar stuff is kind of cheap & the batteries don't last, but you could set up a 12 volt system with a larger deep discharge battery that can be charged either by a good sized solar panel or a battery charger.

What you're considering with these drivers is certainly doable, but you'll have to encase the drivers in something to keep them dry and you'll be restricted to using 3 watt, 700 ma LEDs which will also need to be weather proofed.
the LED will go in stainless housing for garden lights, so everything is protected as it should, it is gust that i'm locking for flexibility.

se when I would go with a string in par. than I'm kind of set in how many LED's I need to put in, however I want to create several zones in my yard, some holding 3 led's on a little 12V driver (lets say 12V 15 watt) and than in the driveway a 12V 40 watt and such.

on the end I thought ok these little drivers would be perfect, under driving the LED at 700 Ma in stead of full 1.000 Ma, however it douse not state the output V, and that is my uncertainty.

so when i have a 12V power supply like the one below, and than 10 led's on it, how would that lock like ?
http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/180w-48v-...-power-supply/

se when I build my 200+ led above my tank, I knew, my driver was ... V at 700 Ma, so I could run x number of LED's.

now these little drivers from e-bay have 700 Ma, and 12V in, but would thy also have 12V out at 700 MA frying my LED's, or do I see it wrong ?