View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 03:08 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
good 'ol search function on CanReef... found this old post. Dusting it off...

I'm heading to Playa del Carmen in December, looking forward to diving there. I have more vacation days than my wife, so I'm going down alone. My sister and her family are going to be there at the resort, but they don't dive. I'll get to sneak off and do lots of diving.

Anyone else with experiences / dive operations for Playa del Carmen?

Also, thinking of getting a GoPro Hero3+ for this trip. Anyone do any diving with GoPros? Advice on mounts / where to get red filters in Calgary?
Good thing Canreef sends me an email every time someone posts in my threads haha.

I'm heading back to Playa del Carmen in January! I have never dived with GoPros, but have seen fantastic video from them. They seem to be great value too as you could easily spend $2000 on a underwater housing/light for a video camera.

Unfortunately I don't remember the operation I dove from. Looking at the map, I think it was Dive Mike. I thought they were pretty good. Honestly liked them more than any dive shop I went with while living in Hawaii.

The bull shark dive was really cool. They charge you a lot, but it is worth it. I saw 20-30 sharks on that dive, many of which where within an arms reach. It is seasonal, but you are going at the peak time I believe. It is a cageless dive.

The diving overall can be good. Generally the further south you go, the better the diving. Cozumel was really nice, but it wasn't worth a whole day of my vacation on the bus/ferry just for two dives.

The cenote dives are very cool too, but again they take up most of your day in travel time.

Anyways, have a great time! I love the Mayan Riviera.

Last edited by Jakegr; 10-06-2013 at 03:11 AM.