View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 03:47 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
like i mentioned to you at the shop , basically phosphates is one parameter that needs to be in check , this is the cause of your film algae any reading above 0.09 and i would be worried shoot for 0.02 to 0.06 and use a quality test kit as most for phos is pretty off(i have the hanna at the store)

as for calcium and alk basically you just need to keep those in a specific range but if you can keep them from changing then youll be golden as for color and growth and nuisance algae

some corals will handle high phosphates quite well while others(like zoas) will not tolerate it for long.

if your phosphates are as high as you told me then chances are your nitrates are measurable as well, good news is nitrates are removable manually.

bring a water sample to the store for testing i have good top of the line kits and can get you a solid reading for your parameters.

as for dosing, its based on what you use unless you can pinpoint or get an accurate reading on either cal or alk then i would avoid dosing as how do you tell what to dose right?

using a quality salt with a tank as small as 30g and not much for coral its safe to say you shouldnt need to dose anything for a while

smaller frags will consume less elemenets then larger colonies as well.

as for feeding i try to feed frozen every other day and pellets as my main food, when feeding frozen its a good practise to rinse untill the frozen food water is clear or even blotch the food on a papertowel before feeding.

and remember what i said about brine, its not very nutritious and adds pollutiuon to your tank.

keep in mind for every action is a reaction , knowing what the reactions are before doing stuff will help you make solid decisions in both livestock and water quality.

any questions feel free to shooot ill help you as best i can

when you get your reactor go with a iron based media not aluminum, and start slow a mild drop in phosphates is better than a quick one.

water changes wont clear up phosphates that high and when adding stuff to your tank think "rotting" would you want any of that stuff rotting or decaying in your tank...equals pollution right? so a good practise is feed only what you must, add only what you trust and dont overoad your bioload(what your rock can physically handle)

hope this helps
Solid advice. Without some idea of your current parameters it is near impossible to zero in on what you are looking for.

P.S. Hey Reefwars, where you been? Check your PM's :P