Thread: Paypal
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I got the exact same line from paypal when I asked if there was a different method for verifying. That was at LEAST 5 years ago, maybe more like 8 years actually ... so don't count on those options coming anytime soon.

The biggest issue I have is that this verification thing vs bank account attachment, is that it only applies to Canadians (at least when I ran into it, if you were in the U.S. you could become verified simply by attaching a credit card.) That double standard irks me and I sort of drew a line in the sand over that. Further insult to injury is that it used to be different for Canadians, I know several people who signed up before me were able to get verified status just with a credit card. So again, that just irked me.

I haven't hit upon my spending limit yet though .. although it probably comes from that I only use paypal when it is an absolute last resort, there is utterly no other option available and it's something I can't get from a different vendor who can offer me better payment terms.

I guess if I hit the limit, either I will just decide to end my relationship with paypal altogether, or perhaps I will setup some kind of throwaway bank account that I can use. I would need to have a really big incentive to motivate me to do that, however.

Also, having been hit with identity fraud a few years ago, I've since taken a hard line approach to who gets access to my primary bank account. Paypal is a U.S. company, not a Canadian bank, I don't know what implications can come of this: I figure if I don't cross that line then I don't even have to worry about missing a mortgage payment and taking that hit on my credit rating all because of a bad ebay purchase or who knows what.

Last edited by Delphinus; 09-20-2013 at 07:03 PM.