View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Well I added a few pieces of SPS from denny a few weeks ago and this is backfiring on me.. again...........

I'm currently losing a Frogskin Acro, Red Monti Cap, Blue Tip Stag to STN, and 2 random frags from Reef Wonderland. A Monti Confusa that isn't STNing yet, but has NO polyp extension what so ever. The only piece still hanging on is a Red Planet I got from Denny. (knock on glass)

I'm at a complete loss as to what's going on in this system. I'm at 9months. There isn't a single piece of SPS that has survived longer than 1 month in my tank. My params are all in good standing these days, I'm doing weekly 10G water changes with H2Ocean salt, I'm careful on my feeding to not overfeed the tank, I'm running HC GFO, I've dialed back my lighting with regards to intensity and also raised the unit another 1-2" off the water level as suggested by others over on Nano-Reef. I've tried varying strengths of flow thinking that I was possibly blowing the tissue right off the skeletons. None of my fish are to blame. The tank is completely free of any algae except for the little bit of film algae on the glass every few days.

I'm AGAIN about ready to shut this tank down and sell it off at this point. Mainly due to the fact of how much money I've been investing and loosing, not because I can't figure it out. I wanted this tank to be an SPS dominant tank with a few pieces of LPS and zoas down along the sand bed but that doesn't seem to be possible. Although my Acans are rocking, but even certain zoas are struggling while others are doing fine.

My only other option besides shutting down completely is to gut the live portion of the tank and restart with ALL LIVE ROCK, no dry rock whatsoever. Every tank I've previously ran has used Live Rock and I've been fairly successful in keeping most SPS (or anything for that matter)

This hobby can really be a struggle sometimes..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988