View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 AM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I'd like to hear an electrician's take on this as I agree with Mike

And a probe is not a solution to a problem
Repairing or replacing the faulty equipment is the only way to go

This right here ^ a probe is not a solution! Its "hiding" the problem. Its like you have a leaking pipe, instead of fixing it you just put a few wraps of duct tape over it, sure it works for a while but when it breaks again its a worse problem then before.

Fix or replace the equipment save yourself problems later its so simple.

If you do use them make sure EVERYTHING is plugged into a GFCI Protected Plug.

Found a nice little list which I agree with from what I have personally seen by working as an Electrician. I have seen many of these problems occur when using GFCI's for various uses.

Pros
Any current from shorted equipment in the tank will be shorted to ground saving you from getting shocked.

If there is some condition that would allow current flow in the tank when something shorts, it would also be alleviated using a grounding probe.

Depending on specific grounding probe setup
If a probe is placed in the correct location (such as a sump with pumps), they can short induced voltage to ground without tripping the GFCI. However, if there is anything between the voltage source and the probe, it will be shocked. Also, if you have large pumps, it's possible they would induce enough voltage to trip the GFCI without there actually being a short.

Cons
You get a short and instead of nothing happening, everything turns off! If you're on vacation or even away for the weekend, tank is toast, even though there may be no danger to the livestock.

If you have a pump that induces a lot of voltage in the tank, you will get current flow between the pump and the probe. You don't want this taking place in the DT. You also don't want a pump tripping your GFCI for no reason.

If you do develop a short with a grounding probe, you can create a staggering amount of current because the water has very little resistance. Another reason why a probe in a DT is a bad idea.

On my personal tank I use drip loops on all cords and have my lights, heaters, return pump and wavemakers all on different circuits. They are also NOT GFCI protected. What I did was wire in a bank of plugs onto my stand up high, and each plug has its own cabtire which runs back to a wall outlet. Never had an issue with them, I also test for stray voltage every few months just to make sure all my gear is ok. I would rather do this quick test than run the risk of finding a burnt out a motor or heater after being away from the tank all day from work.