Thread: Water Additives
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromakey View Post
I have a mixed reef aquarium with mainly LPS and soft corals. I aim for a 20% water change every 10 -14 days. I have never added any additives but was wondering if anyone would recommend an additive that would help the corals and invertebrates in the tank. I am trying to keep the upkeep fairly simple.
Have you tested calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium? How about nitrate an phosphate? Do you keep your tank at a proper reef specific gravity of 1.026 or 35 ppt? If these are all within proper range, and you have fish in there that you feed, then your corals are likely quite happy between the fish poop, excess fish food (hopefully not much), and the elements in the salt mix.

If you insist on trying something, then I suggest you try target feeding some of the LPS with an LPS pellet like Fauna Marin LPS Pellets (my fav). Keep in mind that feeding the corals is the same as feeding the fish as far as nutrient load goes, so watch for algae.

I don't recommend feeding into the water column unless you have a really good protein skimmer, a really good clean up crew, and a good amount of experience in the hobby to see the signs of impending algae bloom before it happens.

EDIT: I just realized these 3 threads are all from you. Skip the questions in the first paragraph, I saw the answers in your other thread and made comments in your other threads regarding those values.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-18-2013 at 02:01 PM.