View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
Rent. When you've got overhead as high as an aquarium/pet store has, you really can't afford to pay the square footage costs of retail space in the 'nicer' parts of town. Big Al's and Pisces are where they are because there's not really any comparable warehouse style retail space in the south - the cheaper warehouses in the south are mostly light industrial and no one shops there (except for maybe granite countertops and floor tile). Also, the fact that Wai's, Ocean Creation, Pisces, and Big Al's are all within a 10 minute drive of each other in light traffic actually probably helps their business rather than hurts it. It's no real surprise that each of the stores seems to specialize in something different.

I have to agree on the driving, on a good day I plan it out and start at golds then head over to Wais and Oceans, before hitting up big als, Pisces and reef wonderland on my way home. Start to finish it takes about an hour depending on how long I stop at each place and with a newborn who only sleeps for 3-4hrs at a time its nice to be able to hit all the stops and be home before the screaming starts.

Once concept is back open I will be able add that one the list and hopefully keep it within the 1-2hr mark.