View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 04:04 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

This probably sounds familiar but I think the Abyzz is overpriced, in terms of reliability the price tag just simply isn't justified. The most reliable and steady pump I've ever owned was a RD6.5 so I'd consider an RD pump DC or AC over the Abyzz given they cost less than half. Plus it'll match your new skimmer

I agree the wavelines and speedwaves reliability is questionable, while the pumps I have seem to run pretty solid they have developed more noise suggesting wear and I've had two of the 3 controllers burn out, which I'm suspecting relates to the crappy power supply they come with. The power supplies should really be regulated and given the juice they require a fan cooled unit would be nice. I originally ran all my pumps of a single regulated power supply as I originally suspected the power supplies to be problematic but later switched back to the originals so each pump would run off it's own supply with the idea of better redundancy, however now I'm thinking of grabbing one or two more more regulated power supplies to prevent future issues.

With that all said the advantage off these cheaper alternatives is their significantly lower price tag allowing the ability to run two or more pumps in parallel allowing more flow opportunities and the added reliability that comes with multiple pumps, if one fails your system essentially remains unaffected. They are also the most popular so easy to get replacements and claim warranty. While a pumps like Abyzz have better warranties if it's your only pump it'll be much more inconvenient if it does have issues.

In regards to the newer versions of wavelines, you could purchase the old versions to run for a while, they are cheap enough and will actually hold decent value to make a later upgrades quite reasonable once issues are sorted.