Thread: RBTA in trouble
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 PM

fresh is on a distinguished road
Default RBTA in trouble

Hi all,

My Rose Bubble Tip anemone has lost its beautiful colour and is shrinking from its original size of 4" when I purchased it 4 months ago from a member to now 1" at best. It used to have nice pink bubbles, but now they are more like very small nubs and very scarce. I initially didn't feed it as the previous owner suggested he didn't directly feed it.

Recently, suspecting starvation, I have been trying to feed it raw scallops, but it just does not seem interested and is non-sticky. At times it accepts the small piece of scallop and puts it almost all in it mouth (over a very long time), and then spits it back out.

I fed it immitation crab once when I first got it, but I doubt this would cause the problem.

All other corals (sps, lps, softies) and fish/inverts in the tank are happy and growing. My ALK/CA = 10/400 and amonia/nitrite/nitrate = 0/0/5.

Tank is 28 gal nanocube with 150W hqi. Anemone is at the bottom of the tank (around 16-18" away from the light).

Can anybody suggest what I may be able to do differently to bring this animal to its normal self? Should I move it closer to the light even though when the lights are on, it mainly hides. It actually expands more when the lights are off.

Have any of you had similar issues with these animals? I really don't want to lose it, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by fresh; 07-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.