View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 03:32 AM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
How would it be less effective ? We're talking about point loading here
Steve and Myka pretty much covered what I was pointing out
Point loading the concrete floor will break it
By placing a larger foot of something that won't break under the load, you're spreading the weight out over a larger area, thus putting less stress on a smaller area of the concrete
And ya, the wood he has there under the post will collapse under load
Have you ever hammered any soft wood ? It compresses very easily
His wood will compress and/or split
His 2x6 will be fine. I put 20,000kg buildings on standard 2x6 lumber without the wood having much compression.
Remember a hammer can easily hit with 600 psi.
1/4" steel is not very rigid, it's probably not spreading the weight much farther than an inch past the foot of the pole.

His tank and stuff is at max 3200 lbs. Even if 100% of that weight was on the two stands that is only 1600 lbs a leg. That's about 100psi per post on the concrete with just the 4x4 bottom of the post.

Even a poor concrete basement is at least 1500psi concrete. And then the fact that the concrete itself is spreading the weight to the earth under it. Unless you built on a swamp or think there might be erosion under the slab.

So even if the posts are in a bad spot with only 3" of concrete there still wouldn't be a problem.

And remember the squash blocks to the foundation wall are taking probably at least 35% of the weight, And even at a 16' span with the joists those could take another 35% of the weight without blinking.