View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I've not tried to raise any of my Maroon pair's offspring, but my experience with hatching is that almost all the time most hatch on about the 7th evening after spawn. Perhaps 10-20% of the eggs remain on the rock & hatch the following evening. On initial hatch, the critters are actually considered larvae, not yet fry. They are very fragile at this stage. If they survive the first week, they go through a metamorphosis phase & the ones that survive this are considered true fry & will have the colour & beginnings of stripes typical of the species.

How long has your pair been spawning? I've read that the first few spawns are unlikely to be sufficiently robust to attempt transferring & trying to raise them. If you can get your hands on Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes, it's a good start as a resource to raise Clowns. Other than that, there's plenty of info on the web, including specific fish breeding forums & threads. You'll need to have a phyto culture as well as rotifers going before trying to raise the larvae/fry. The phyto is food for the rotifers, which are the first food for the larvae.