View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 05:17 AM

ScubaGirl is on a distinguished road

Yes, I use drop tests for pH. I will get a digital reader, no problem. The thing is, my pH is a bit low, not high. Is my light cycle long enough without a lighted sump? 11 hours white, 12 hours blue.

I'm not sure the water is the problem -- maybe more that I'm not identifying the actual source of the problem.

I realized tonight that I had not retested my levels of usage with this new brand of salt. I was dosing based on the old brands levels. Also, I test AFTER the water change usually, not before, so the water would seem to be pretty good each time. Then I dose with the same pattern. Tonight, instead of changing the water, I prepped some for tomorrow night and spent time thoroughly testing and cleaned out the filter canister again. Sucked up some skanky water from the bottom of my skimmer canister too. I put in an ammonia filter in the canister tonight too, so now I'm running that, the nitrate filter medium and carbon. I will try to get some of the liquid stuff too. I want to start having on this stuff on hand.

Right now I program my phone to alert me when to dose what. Maybe it's time to invest in some sort of dosing control system. Our next tank will be drilled for sure -- if we can survive this issue and be stable for a year. Hubby promised.

Powerheads have always been on, just the "filter sleeves" on the inside have been removed.

Last edited by ScubaGirl; 07-05-2013 at 05:29 AM.