View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

It depends. My Aquamax only skim from time to time in my 30 gallons mantis tank. When I stir the sand it skim, then it can go for many hours without producing any skimmate. This is what happen when the skimmer outperform the aquarium and the bioload.

So the amount of organics in the water must reach a certain concentration before the skimmer start to skim again, problem is that diatome and other algae need only trace of organics to grow, whereas the skimmer probably need a higher concentration to have a good foam head.

I do get a little bit of diatom on my glass but since I don't have lights on my mantis tank it's not too bad. I recently added some fish and it skim more but still not all the time, and it is many hours per day without producing any skimmate. I tried 2 skimmers with the same result, a deltec 300 and the aquamax.

What is your aquarium size, skimmer brand and capacity and bioload?

If your skimmer never produced anything there must be something wrong because it is surely broken in after 6 months. Must be a too powerfull skimmer for a too low bioload?

Last edited by daniella3d; 07-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.