View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yycguy View Post
Thanks Kien, I guess it's my Apex displaying my PH that brings it to my attention. I just don't get why it appears low? When others say there's is 8.2 or higher? Does the salt blend have something to do with it? I used to use Reefers Best and I am planning on going back to that once I finish up the RC
What should I be aiming for Alkalinity ?
Is 8 ok or should it be closer to 9? Remember for me to get it there I was dosing more DkH and that caused my pump problems
My tank is mainly SPS
what he said :-)
|
v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
I totally agree with Kien, PH isn't a big factor as long as it's stable and within 7.8 to 8.3 range. My PH is always around 8.10-8.15 during the day and 7.9-8.0 at night. I know some of us even go to the extend of dosing soda ash only at night to balance out the night time PH swing but I have never gone that extreme.
Salt blend will play a roll in your tank PH but I don't think its a major roll, you can always test the ph in your premixed resevoir before your water change and see where it's at, that wll give you a good idea on whether its gonna make a huge difference in your tank ph.
As far as alk, it depends on if you are running a probiotic system or not. Most probiotic system ie zeovit or pellets would probably prefer parameters closer to NSW which is 7 since higher alk will tend burn the tips of some sps. If you are not runing a probiotic system, you can probably run it at 8 or higher but the key here is STABILITY!
If you poll enough people you'll find that pH really is all over the place if you ask me right now what my pH is I'll tell you that it's 8.1. If you ask me later this evening I'll probably tell you that it is 8.3. If you ask me what my pH is tomorrow morning I'll tell you that it's 7.9.

Also keep in mind that CO2 also affects your pH. The amount of CO2 in your water at any given time varies and you can't not affect this easily. It also varies greatly from tank to tank.

Bottom line, DON'T PANIC! There is nothing wrong with your pH. It is fine. Keep on reefin' on :-)