View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
I've read that ideally the pump should be able to pump half of the pond's volume every hour. Does that apply to all the pumps? What brand of pump would you recommend or use?
ya, that's a good rule of thumb. In the case of ponds and koi husbandry, definitely the more the better. Koi are messy fish! As an example, my canister filter (Pressure Flo) and its accompanying pump (Laguna max-flow) is rated for 3200 gallons per hour. My pond is roughly 1000g. The pump has worked flawlessly for 3 years now.

In the winter I take my canister filter off-line and store it, but I keep the pump on to circulate and move the water in the pond. The canister filter is not needed in the winter because the fish don't eat so they don't generate much waste and algae is dormant so there's not much to clean.

This is just one of many different methods of filtration. I also maintain a pond at my parents house and there they use an above ground box/water fall filter.

It works just as well. The key is, whatever you decide to use, make sure it's easy for you to maintain. My canister filter is nice because it has a backwash port which I can dial to when I need to flush out the filter pads. Then there are handy handles that I plunge on the filter that I can use to clean the pads of debris. The gunk gets washed out of the canister and into my garden/flow beds.