View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 PM

RPatsula is on a distinguished road
Default New to Dosing Ca, Mg and Alk...and would like some advice

I'm about to start dosing my aquarium using the BRS two-part dosing system. I am a little bit confused about how to start dosing. My display tank contains mostly SPS corals and polyps so far, in the end I hope to have a mix environment of both LPS, SPS and polyps. My display tank contains about 165 gallons of water with about 100 pounds of live rock and my sump has about 52 gallons of water so that the combined volume I am going with is 200 gallons. Here are my water parameters; calcium is at 325 ppm, magnesium is at 1000 ppm and the pH is at 8.3. So using the BRS calculator (I will be using the BRS solutions)
calcium 325 raised to 420 equals 1945 mL. Pour into the sump over two days.
magnesium at 1000 raised to 1350 equals 5645 mL. Pour into the sump over three days.
pH at 8.3 raised to 9 equals 100 mL
is there a particular time or order that I put the three different solutions in at?
Once I get my water parameters at the desired level and I start dosing using my dosing pumps that will be connected to my apex, is there a desired time to dose the three different solutions? I was thinking of dosing at 0.2 mL per gallon per day or 40 mL of both Ca and Alk. Am I missing anything? Also since this is my first time adding calcium, alkalinity and magnesium… Am I doing it right.
Thanks for any advice.
Rick