View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 AM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic4L View Post
Reef geek I stayed in jibacoa last year, between veradero and Havana.

Some of the best reef I've seen, extremely lush and full of life my camera died after my first picture of a cuttlefish so I had to just enjoy it for the week. No pics
too bad your camera is toast.

I don't think I'm going to go back to Cuba any time soon.

I already have my next trip booked / paid. Going back to Florida to log some dives in Key Largo. There's a number of MPAs in Florida waters and stringent fishery regulations, reinforced with enforcement infrastructure & penalties that are debilitating to offenders.

When I think of a reef that is 'lush' there's got to be apex predators that keep lower trophic levels in check, in balance, and so diversity is sustained. Most dives in Florida will include encounters with many apex predators bigger than yourself. Jew fish (PC name is now Goliath grouper), reef sharks, bull sharks, lemon sharks, nurse sharks, baracudas etc. A tell tale sign of whether a system is locally over fished or not... is whether you commonly see apex predators. If they are present, there is strong protection in place to protect (both) them... and their food species. This is why places like Florida Keys and Bonaire are such gems... unlike other places in the Caribbean that lack the means or economics to protect their fisheries.

I'm looking forward to seeing these guys again:

Last edited by Reef_Geek; 04-21-2013 at 12:13 AM.