View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I am not surprised. There should be a lot of aggressivity at the begining. You may think that they are best friends but they are probably fighting for dominance and who's going to be the female.

If you get clowfish about the same size you will always have this problem, and eventually you run the risk of having 2 females kill each other.

Best way to go is to buy an existing couple already established with the much larger female. I had a very nice black ice that jumped after a few months of being in the tank and they seamed to get along ok but eventually there was some aggression and now the black and white female is alone. Will I pay another 90$ to get another black ice? nope...not even 20$ to get another black and white. She would probably harrass it to death again. Clownfish are ok alone, and surely better alone than a pair of them fighting for dominance.

If you absolutely want another clownfish, make sure you pic one smaller than your existing one...or even better do as I did and take the existing fish OUT and into a quarantine tank and put both fish together in the new tank at the same time. By the time the quarantine is over there is a good chance they will have formed a pair and the existing one will not be so territorial in a new tank. When you return them both to the main tank they will not be fighting if they have formed a pair, at least we hope so.