View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 01:33 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

support? There is no best support than the Reef Angel support.

I ask in the RA forum about a program to trigger the feed mode so that my neighbourg would be able to trigger it from just one click on my small notebook when I leave for vacations. Problem is that my notebook is just a small thing with bearely any power or memory, so I needed a small application that would run without too much ressources. They suggested me a small Java application but it was lacking the feed mode.

So I go ahead and ask in the forum if it was possible to have one with the feed more and water change mode, and the programmer did it the same day and in the evening I had my program ready to download and to use with all the features I wanted. Now that some serious support!!

I now have a very small application in java that control my tank, show me the stats and send me email and text message alerts. The beauty of the RA is that anything can be done. It is not limited to what the company's programmers decided to do, you're in full control. I have absolutely zero knowledge in programmation either.

Apex is great but so much more expensive and even if you buy the full thing at full price (499$) you still are lacking the wifi connectivity and the ATO, you need to pay even more for those.

The RA is supported by a large community that is not so much aimed at profit (many are doing it for free) and the cost of development for the product and software is much lower than with a company that MUST hire programmers to produce their software for a lot of $$$$. So probably Apex must charge so much to compensate the cost of development which is pretty much free with the RA and its community.

But above all, the RA is FUN! I am always on the look out for some new things to make it do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
The reef angel may or may not be a decent piece of equipment, but I like the Apex support. The company itself is great, and there are hundreds of users ready and willing to help with any config question you have, and you'll have many. It's not always about saving a few bucks. It's about saving grief trying to get it all figured out.