View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM

Cubeman is on a distinguished road

So here is what the tank looked like to start with. Not a huge fan of the blue background (I prefer black) but there will be so little left visible once I'm done that I decided to leave it for now. Can always change my mind later.

Here's a rather blurry shot of the silicone in the front corners. Nothing wrong with its functionality but it is less than desirable to look at. Here's some detail for the less experienced out there on how I went about cleaning that up.

The first requirement is a sharp blade or two.

And a top down shot of the old silicone that has been removed. Note it was just the inner sealant that I removed not the structural adhesive between the panes.

Next the glass was cleaned with some acetone and left to air dry.

I ordered in a tube of good quality silicone that is used by many home builders of aquariums. I didn't need to do that for this part of the project as any old aquarium safe silicone would have done. However I will need some good stuff later when I do my all in one (AIO) conversion so figured I'd get it now.

The corners were taped up using painters tape and I went to work with some good quality silicone and some gloves. I didn't actually use the tool shown for these corners as I prefer the control of my finger. However for silicone jobs that aren't visible afterwards (like bottom panes) that is what I would use.

And when it is all said and done this is the end result.

Not something I would have cared about in my younger days but these little things matter to me now.