View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road
Default My new mantis tank

I just finaly found a peacock mantis, after of nearly a year of trying. I set up a tank for her. It's a Deep Blue 30 gallons shallow rimless tank 24" x 24" x 12" with the furniture.

I will not be using any light beside ambiant light and a small LED light as peacock do not tolerate well high level of light. They can get shell rot if the light is too strong. I was thinking of setting up a PVC pipe but did not find any of the right size, either too small or too bulky, so I found a huge piece of tonga rock that had the perfect cave shape and used this to start the fondation of her cave. It worked very well and she seems to love her home. For now there is a HOT filter that will be removed once the skimmer is working properly. I will hide the wires and make it as clean as possible.

I did not get the reef ready version with corner overflow because I did not like the huge overflow and all the room it was taking. I will eventually drill a hole in it and installe an glass-hole overflow, much nicer.

And here is the mantis, a 5 1/2" female peacock, with an attitude! At the store she was kicking everything. Now she's well behave and very sweet!

I am already attached to her much more than she is to me

If you have experience with these mesmerizing creatures, please share. Especially what to feed them. I have got her a bounch of snails which she eats when she's ungry. I also feed her with fresh mussel meat. I was planning to buy a few small clam or in the shell mussel for her. I do not plan to give her fish meat or live crabs to see them fight. I like little crabs too much.