View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM

RPatsula is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing my sand bed

Hello, I have a 230 gallon reef aquarium. My sand bed is approximately 1 inch deep and consists of very fine sand. I have read previous posts that people have replaced their sand with the coarser sand with no harm to the fish or coral. I want to replace my sand bed with a coarser sand because my MP 40s and MP 10s are stirring up the sand so bad that a lot of my live rock is covered in white sand and there are several bare spots on the bottom of the aquarium.

I plan on siphoning out the sand and some water into 5 gallon pails. I only plan on taking out at the most 40 gallons of water because that is all I have on hand in my water change container. I was going to put the new sand back in by pouring it down a 3 inch PVC pipe so that my aquarium water would not get that cloudy and the sand should settle quicker I hope.

My questions are:
Can someone recommend a replacement sand that will not get blown around by the MP 40s.
Do I buy normal sand or live sand.
Do I have to do anything special to the sand before I put it into the aquarium or do I just rinse it off with RO/DI water.

Thanks in advance

Rick