View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
nope this is not how it works
here is a simple explanation of PF I found

"Power factor is the percent of electrical power that does work. Resistive loads, such as lights and heater elements, always have unity (1.0) power factor; all power is used for work. Motors, because they are essentially large inductors, lag current and cause power factor issues. A motor with a .85 power factor uses 85 percent of the power for work. 15 percent is wasted.

For example, a 480VAC, 10HP motor with a 1.0 power factor uses 10.6 amps to run at 10HP. Lowering the power factor to .8 requires the motor to consume 13.2 amps to produce that same 10 HP."

I read up on this years and years ago and can talk about it all day (well maybe not all day) but it is hard to sit and type it out, hence the simple explanation I found. we used to be realy concerned with PF with lights to get the efficiency.

you if you have a pump that is rated at 120 watts but has a power factor of .6 in reality it will use 200 watts to do the work. the extra 80watts are lost through ineficient circuts, heat, ect... so when the power company bills you you are billed for the 200 watts. this is why the hydro companies have rebates for big business to upgrade to high PF equipment, it lowers the demand on the grid.

Steve
Not again!!!

That's what I thought but apparently, the meters in our houses only counts the amount of power used (consumed) by the devices and the industries, in return, are charged PF penalties.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob