View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Not only that but she really didn't answer the question at all, honestly I think she has no idea what we're talking about. This is the inquiry I sent:

Quote:
Hello,

As a current customer I'm investigating some techniques for energy saving in my home and I have question relating to power factors and whether a typical residential meter measures apparent power or real power.
For example if I have a load such as pump that has a power factor of 0.5 the current in the circuit will be twice that of what the actual device is using, if the measured current is 5A then the apparent power is 575W on a 115V circuit while the real power used by the device is 288W.
The question I have is does a residential meter measure and bill for real power or apparent power? Is it worth investing in new devices with higher power factors if the goal is reduce electricity cost?
Judging by the response it's pretty clear she has no idea what we're on about and relied on google to quickly find an article that somewhat discusses power factor.