View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Gotta say this thing has been a pain for the past 4 months, hasn't really skimmed anything, now I have cyano, algae, etc. Never had any of this prior to this skimmer.

So I had setup as per you guys, It is noisy from water splashing, but I will ignore this for the time being. However I woke up last night about 4-5am to major water jets going off... This has happened in the previous months with fiddling with this thing, but again it happened. Basically it is like the pump goes into overdrive and is pumping much more water that before, thus overflowing and alot of water jetting out of the output. If I unplug the pump and replug it resumes normally.

I have lowered the water a bit more, so the sump level is covering about 50% of the water exhaust now. Thinking that the air injection isn't sufficient due to too high of water in the sump/skimmer body. What do you all think? The sump water level is about 1/4 inch above the bubble plate of the skimmer now.

Boy I am really starting to hate Reef Octopus!!! This skimmer sure isn't a set it and forget it model!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk