View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
I am not a die hard power guy (more in energy scenarios) but the basics is, the lesser the PF is, the more current it will draw from the outlet and hence more consumption for the device.

If you PF for RD6.5 was like 0.8 like albert said, it would be drawing only around 0.9A, meaning less power would be drawn out form the outlet and thus less consumption to run motor with the same power.

Maybe the motor became fault and hence PF is so low?
My understanding, as far as I know, is the power factor can be defined as how effectively a device uses the current available in the circuit. It's not really related to efficiency. AC pumps typically have a lower power factor than say DC pumps or other devices which follow basic V=I/R & P=VI. This relates to impedance which I don't want to get into but basically a high power factor of 1 means the device draws in X amount of amps and uses every last one. A power factor of 0.8 means it draws X amount but only uses 0.8*X while the remainder is fed back into the circuit so it doesn't actually use more power, it just draws more current.