Thread: Hardscape
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 AM

Trevor W is on a distinguished road

Well.....the tank is finally filled and the plumbing doesnt seem to have any leaks....BUT....I cant seem to get it running properly! I dont know if I am just an idiot or if I screwed up on my plumbing design.

So I started by filling the display to the point where it just started to run over into my overflow. Next I started filling my sump I began by filling the far left side which is my drain side then it overflows and goes through 2-4" filter socks than that overflows and fills my middle chamber or skimmer section than it goes through a set of baffles and into my return pump section. So I filled all the sections and than let the skimmer and return section fill about 3-4" above the height of the baffles. I plug in my return and the tank starts to fill, and fill and fill....water starts going through the drain but the display fills up to the point that its almost overflowing and than the return section starts running dry so I rush and unplug the pump and even though my drain was wide open, I didn't have a chance to start dialing in the gate valve because as my display was about to overflow the pump started running dry and I unplugged it. I have tried repeatedly with the same result.

Overflow:
Herbie style overflow with 2-1.5" drains.
1 gate valve on the main drain.
Emergency drain is unrestricted.

Return:
1-1" return line all the way till it is reduced to 3/4" loc-line in the display.
Quiet One 4000 (991 GPH).

I posted photos of the sump layout and drain/return lines on the previous page. What am I doing wrong?!?!?