View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Well, just a bit of an update.

The exodus of my fish stopped. The final count was 5.

1x Powder Blue Tang
1x Blue Throat Trigger
1x Sailfin Tang
2x Clownfish (sorry Brett )

Everyone that is left in the tank has been doing well ever since. Leopard Wrasse, 2x Diamond Gobies, Foxface Lo, and a Axelspot Hogfish.

The tank has not and will not be seeing any fishy additions until the end of March at the earliest to be certain that the remaining fish are completely in the clear.

I have also decided to setup a 20G Q-Tank for any future additions. 20G High tank, Koralia Nano, Aquaclear 50 HOB Filter and 50W heater.

Besides the fish loss, I have been struggling lately with my Wall Hammer coral. One of the heads has been melting away and recently my Pagoda Cup has started to loose heads as well. It has been a bit confusing as to why, but a couple days ago I realized I had over looked one thing while trying to figure out what could be causing it. My Salinity! I have a feeling my skimmer had been skimming quite wet, which has slowly been taking SW out of my tank to only get replaced with RO top-up water.

It dropped to 1.018 from 1.026. I did a 25G change yesterday which brought it up to 1.021. I also added extra and the evap in the last 24 hours (till the point where my ATO kicked back in, has raised it up to 1.024. Unfortunately I think it is probably too late. The wall hammer isn't look to happy today, and the pagoda is surely on its way out.

This tank has been quite frustrating. Of all the tanks I have kept in the past, I've had more things go wrong with this one that all my other tanks combined it seems. I've always read that large tanks are easier to keep/maintain, I'm personally not sold on that idea yet.

On the bright side, I am starting to see a large amount of Pods, Sponges and other various filter feeders growing in my "refuge" on the glass. I say "refuge" because there is no Sand, no Mangroves, No rock really (only small rubble), and a small ball of cheato that doesn't really grow.

Ohhh this hobby!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988